Wheatgrass: A Bodybuilding Super Food
Wheatgrass is the leafy plant that grows in the early stages of a wheat plant. It is very alkaline, and may also be suitable for individuals who suffer from wheat intolerances. It has a very sweet, potent flavor, but it is generally palatable when downed in one quick gulp.
Wheatgrass is one of the super foods that celebrities rave about. It is a living food with an abundant supply of chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, and up to 30 live enzymes. Chlorophyll is a fantastic immune system booster due to its rich antioxidant properties, plus it is a whole food because it contains all of the nine essential amino acids required by the body for proper immune function and growth.
Wheatgrass can contain 90 minerals in each one ounce (30ml) shot if grown in nutrient-rich soil, and its living enzymes continue to work to boost the body’s health long after the juice has been consumed. Feelings of vitality often continue throughout the day after just one shot of wheatgrass. However, it’s not wise to consume too much on an empty stomach — it could cause nausea.
Studies have shown that wheatgrass reduces carcinogens in the body. Also an excellent detoxifier, wheatgrass strengthens the liver to neutralize harmful pollutants from car exhausts, mobile phone towers, and cigarette smoke. The compounds found in wheatgrass that improve the liver functions are:
- Magnesium: Reduces excess fat in the body
- Potassium: Invigorates and stimulates cells
- Choline: Prevents fatty deposits from forming
Powdered, Frozen, or Fresh?
Wheatgrass is available in many forms. It is still a relatively expensive super food to consume on a regular basis, but it is possible to grow your own wheat grass to juice fresh. Approximately three handfuls of wheatgrass is enough to make 50mls of fresh green juice. Great kits are available for this purpose, both in the States and across the pond.
Wheatgrass has benefits whether you prefer to consume it in powdered form, frozen, or fresh. Sellers of powdered wheatgrass promise that it contains far more nutritional content than flash frozen or fresh wheatgrass juice, but each to their own. As a new devotee of wheatgrass, I love the instant energy it supplies my body. It has given my skin the youthful glow of a teenager, and I turned the big 3-0 two weeks ago.
Why Should Bodybuilders Try Wheatgrass?
Those huge weights can depress the immune system, and create oxidative stress. Drinking wheatgrass regularly will benefit the body in several ways:
- Supports the health of the immune system due to its excellent antioxidant benefits
- Supplies the body with essential amino acids to build new muscle
- Gives a great energy boost
- Is a natural way of pumping vitamins, minerals, and live enzymes into the body
Wheatgrass contains the following amino acids:
- Arginine – Increases the release of HGH from the pituitary gland
- Aspartic acid – Supplies the body with energy
- Abensic – prevents cancer forming in the body
- Alanine – Builds blood
- Valine – Coordinates the brain and muscle functions
- Phenylalanine – Works on proper functioning of the thyroid gland
- Glycine – Provides the body with energy
- Histidine – Improves hearing and nerve functions
- Isoleucine – Promotes muscle growth and recovery
- Loucine – Boosts energy and regulates nerve stimulation
- Lysine – Anti-aging benefits
- Methionine – Liver and kidney cleanser
- Proline – Helps the body maintain muscle mass
- Threonine – Improves digestion and assimilation
- Tryptophan – Reduces carbohydrate cravings
- Serine – Aids the absorption of creatine
Reap the Many Health Benefits
There are not many foods that contain twenty amino acids, including the essential nine building blocks of protein. Eggs, meat, and dairy are known as whole proteins because they contain all of the essential building blocks necessary for muscle growth. However, another super food that contains all of the essential amino acids, iron, vitamin C, and many other vitamins, minerals, and enzymes is wheatgrass.
Many bodybuilders take wheatgrass in powder form and mix it into shakes. This is useful, but nothing beats fresh wheatgrass. It gives a boost of instant energy, prevents fatigue, suppresses appetite, helps with weight loss, takes away the urge to eat junk food, and improves mental clarity.
These are the instant effects of a one ounce (30ml) shot of wheatgrass, but internally, the results go much deeper:
- Washes away drug deposits in the body
- Builds muscle
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Excellent blood cleanser and builds new blood cells
- Fantastic immune system booster
- Cleanses the colon
- Reduces constipation
- Preventative for cancer and dissolves tumors
- Improves lung functions (excellent for ex-smokers)
- Prevents graying hair
- Prevents acne, psoriasis, and eczema
- Improves the skin and hair
- Fights infections
- Reduces hypertension
- Improves sore throats when gargled
- Reduces toothache
- Protects the body from carcinogens and pollution
If you hate green leafy vegetables, a shot of wheatgrass is equivalent to 2.2lbs of leafy greens. Per week, this is a phenomenal amount of rich nutritional goodness filtering through the body’s cells to build immune strength and reduce disease and infection.
Why Not Try It?
Wheatgrass may cause headaches or stomach discomfort in those new to it. Usually these symptoms are mild and resolve quickly as your body gets used to wheatgrass. Those with an allergy or sensitivity to wheat should consult their doctors before adding it to their diets.
Once you’re accustomed to wheatgrass and it no longer causes you digestive discomfort, try taking it on an empty stomach. It is very alkaline, and you’ll want to give the body time to absorb all of the benefits before consuming other foods.
I noticed bold changes after just two weeks of daily wheatgrass shots. My diet has improved dramatically, I eat less, my skin is glowing from within, and I have such mental clarity and focus.
I would recommend wheatgrass to anyone who wants to boost their overall health, and prevent degenerative diseases. For bodybuilders, wheatgrass is a true super food because it is packed with nutritional goodness!